About the Department
Staffed by dedicated physicians, educators and researchers who thrive in an environment that requires them to think on their feet, the Department of Emergency Medicine treats more than 100,000 patients each year.
The department is home to the following:
- The busiest Level 1 adult and pediatric trauma center in the commonwealth
- Virginia’s first comprehensive stroke center certified by the Joint Commission
- Forensic nursing, offering compassionate care for patients who report sexual assault and other injuries
- The Evans-Haynes Burn Center, which treats about 450 patients annually
- The Virginia Poison Center, which provides poisoning and toxicology education to physicians and the community
- EMS medical direction
- One of the most advanced observation units in the country
- Board certified pediatric emergency physicians providing 24/7 care for young patients
- Point-of-care ultrasound education led by fellowship-trained faculty
- Accreditation from the American College of Cardiology as a Chest Pain Center with Primary PCI and Resuscitation
Our mission is to provide unparalleled patient care, educate and train emerging leaders in emergency medicine and set a national standard for quality and safety metrics by responding to the changing needs of emergency healthcare through innovative research and systems development.
Learn more about our community.