Five hours of educational activities are scheduled each week of the academic year. Residents are excused from ED duty, and give lectures each year of their training. The educational activities include:
- Conference design based on adult learning theory
- Class specific small group education, including a novel resident led longitudinal evidence based performance improvement curriculum
- Grand Round series featuring national, regional, and locally renowned speakers
- Joint conferences with the Division of Trauma, Critical Care and Emergency General Surgery and the Department of Internal Medicine.
- Two hours per conference day using small group learning or simulation. Residents rotate through various stations including oral boards, ultrasound, high fidelity simulator cases and practicing common procedures using task trainers, or small group teaching.
- Residents and faculty participate in journal clubs monthly. We gather at local restaurants or faculty homes to discuss articles and often times have faculty members from other departments present to contribute to the discussion.